[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.2 client on RHEL5 beta 2

Stephan Wiesand Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:16:51 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 07:13:47PM +0100, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> I don't know what you have in /build/kernels/, and hence what you're
>> building against, but whatever it is: chances are it's not the same as in
>> RH's kernel-devel RPM.
>
> I (always) use the kernel src.rpm to gain access to the full sources
> as kernel-devel fails many external kernel module builds.

I tried building against the full source tree from the kernel srpm. This
works before a "make modules" in this tree has created the Module.symvers
file. Afterwards it does not anymore, the error being exactly the one
I posted yesterday.

Removing this file from the tree from the kernel-devel RPM has the same
effect: building an unpatched openafs-1.4.2 against this tree now works.

I guess there is no Module.symvers in your kernel tree? And hence no
build problems with GPL-only symbols? And no modversions either, but
that's no problem since you build specifically for each kernel?

But isn't loading such a module supposed to fail? Is it only in this
special case that it doesn't, because of the "weak" definition of
tasklist_lock in the AFS module and/or because of the fallback to
rcu_read_lock?

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -