[OpenAFS] Help needed in configuring OpenAFS

shailesh_joshi@persistent.co.in shailesh_joshi@persistent.co.in
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:39:46 +0530 (IST)

Thanks Jason for the response.

Initially I'm trying to setup the server.

The "/etc/init.d/openafs-server start" command starts the server which could be verified with the ".. status" command.
But after giving the stop or restart command, it fails giving following message.

"Stopping openafs-server: bos: could not find entry (can't find cell '<default>' in cell database)
failed to shutdown OpenAFS                                 [FAILED]"

On giving setcellname command I'm getting following error and getting similar error for other commands also.

# bos setcellname -server ps2750 -name ps2750.persistent.co.in -noauth
bos: failed to set cell (you are not authorized for this operation)

Does the server operations also need authentication? If needed, where the parameters are set?

The listhosts command gives output as follows.

#bos listhosts ps2750 -noauth
Cell name is localcell
bos: failed to get cell host 0 (could not find entry)

How can I set/add a cell/host with different name?

I have created a partition as "/dev/hda8 on /vicepa type ext2 (rw)" and mounted it with mount command.

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks and Regards,
Shailesh Joshi

openafs@rampaginggeek.com wrote:

The Fedora RPMs take care of the installation from CDROM and the
initialization script.

Are you trying to set up a client or a server?

For the most basic client setup:
1. install the rpms.
2. edit ThisCell, SuidCells, and CellServDB.local if neccessary
3. compile the kernel modules if there wasn't one in the rpms.(You need
the kernel-devel rpms and the openafs-kernel-source rpms)
4. run "/etc/init.d/openafs-client start" or /etc/init.d/openafs start"
depending on which rpms you got.
5. "ls /afs" and if that doesn't hang, then you have a basic client setup.
6. process to set up authentication via kerberos.

Sincerely,
Jason