[OpenAFS] Questions regarding a vos move

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:52:48 -0700

Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com> writes:

> To balance the load across partitions on our group AFS cell, I am
> thinking of moving some user volumes from /vicepa to /vicepb. I have a
> user.xyz.backup volume inside each user.xyz mounted at OldFiles. Will it
> be properly moved if I were to just move user.xyz ?

It will be deleted when you move a volume with vos move.  It won't be
recreated until the next time vos backup or vos backupsys is run on that
new volume.

> Second, the syntax for vos move :

> vos move -id <volume name or ID>  -fromserver <machine name on source>
>          -frompartition <partition name on source>
>          -toserver <machine name on destination>
>          -topartition <partition name on destination>
>          [-cell <cell name>]  [-noauth]  [-localauth]  [-verbose]  [-help]

> a) Does one have to specify -fromserver if the move is from one
> partition to another on the same server ?

Yes.

> b) Does one specify the actual partition name (/dev/sda11) or the
> corresponding mountpoint (/vicepb) ?

All partition arguments in AFS take the vicep? names.