[OpenAFS] Questions regarding a vos move

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:52:13 -0600

--------------090206020906020802060501

Hello,

The mount point to the .backup volume is inside the volume you're
moving, so the mount point will move properly as part of user.xya

user.xyz.backup however is destroyed during the move and to avoid
'connection timed out' messages I suggest 'vos backup user.xyz' after
moving the volume

The arguments in <> brackets are required.  ( Those in [] brackets are
optional.)

Therefore the syntax for vos move does require both
fromserver/frompartition and toserver/topartition, as well as the volume
name, even though 'server' is the same in both cases.

Cheers,

Kim

Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To balance the load across partitions on our group AFS cell, I am thinking of
> moving some user volumes from /vicepa to /vicepb. I have a user.xyz.backup
> volume inside each user.xyz mounted at OldFiles. Will it be properly moved if
> I were to just move user.xyz ?
>
> Second, the syntax  for vos move :
>

> vos move -id <volume name or ID>  -fromserver <machine name on source>
>          -frompartition <partition name on source>
>          -toserver <machine name on destination>
>          -topartition <partition name on destination>
>          [-cell <cell name>]  [-noauth]  [-localauth]  [-verbose]  [-help]
>
> a) Does one have to specify -fromserver if the move is from one partition to
> another on the same server ?
> b) Does one specify the actual partition name (/dev/sda11) or the
> corresponding mountpoint (/vicepb) ?
>
> Thanks.

--------------090206020906020802060501

begin:vcard
fn:Dexter 'Kim'  Kimball
n:Kimball;Dexter 'Kim'
org:CCRE, Inc.
adr;dom:;;15121 Lazuli Road;Loveland;CO;80538
email;internet:dhk@ccre.com
title:Owner
tel;work:970.207.1474
tel;fax:866.514.9676