[OpenAFS] Backup AFS with BackupPC?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:10:41 -0700

seth vidal <skvidal@linux.duke.edu> writes:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 19:00 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Yeah, I think Teradactyl might do that for you and that's about it.
>> TSM used to, but they dropped AFS file backup support.

> Teradactyl worries the hell out of me. They're a small company with
> about 12 customers from what I can tell AND their closed source. So if
> they go away so does my ability to deal with my backups. Not a good
> combination. At least with TSM you had only to worry about IBM changing
> their mind on you - but not outright vanishing as a result of a few bad
> trades.

Yeah, I do know the worry.  However, IBM *did* go away on us and
Teradactyl has been there year after year, supporting the AFS community,
participating on mailing lists and with the workshop, and clearly caring a
lot about AFS.  So I think you can do a lot worse.

That being said, we aren't currently using them -- we're still copying old
TSM binaries around.  *wry look*

> So the features I want in a backup system is:
>  - open source
>  - capable of dealing with afs (acls included) in a way that doesn't
> make me feel like I'm using bailing wire and duct tape to backup my
> mission-critical data.

I think the right long-term solution is going to be to add real AFS
support to Bacula.  I think it's closest otherwise, and ACL support is
something that it needs anyway.  Something that could do a standard
conversion of ACLs into some sort of portable standard format and could be
applied for POSIX ACLs, CIFS, and AFS, would be great and is the sort of
thing that I think Bacula would embrace.