[OpenAFS] Backup AFS with BackupPC?

seth vidal skvidal@linux.duke.edu
Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:09:08 -0400

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 19:00 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> seth vidal <skvidal@linux.duke.edu> writes:
>
> > I'd like to hear what internal mechanisms people are doing to backup
> > afs. It seems like everyone has their own special system to backup afs.
> > I'm curious about why that's so and why none of the major open source
> > backup software has support for afs.
>
> I thought Amanda did have some support, and there have certainly been
> discussions of adding support to Bacula.  However, I think that the Amanda
> support wasn't beyond the dump level.

I'm currently working on amanda's support. It's not what I would call
the most graceful solution and it's not built in - you have to graft a
bunch of pieces on to make it work.

> > When I looked at the ones available (both open source and closed) I was
> > woefully unimpressed. Many of them seemed fragile or problem-prone.
>
> > Specifically I'm interested in how many of them can do:
> >  - volumeset backups or backup by wildcarded volume/partion names
> >  - full volume restores
> >  - directory restores preserving acls
> >  - individual file restores
> >  - incremental backups
> >  - backups spanning tapes
> >  - 100+GB volume backups and restores
>
> Yeah, I think Teradactyl might do that for you and that's about it.  TSM
> used to, but they dropped AFS file backup support.

Teradactyl worries the hell out of me. They're a small company with
about 12 customers from what I can tell AND their closed source. So if
they go away so does my ability to deal with my backups. Not a good
combination. At least with TSM you had only to worry about IBM changing
their mind on you - but not outright vanishing as a result of a few bad
trades.

So the features I want in a backup system is:
 - open source
 - capable of dealing with afs (acls included) in a way that doesn't
make me feel like I'm using bailing wire and duct tape to backup my
mission-critical data.

-sv