[OpenAFS] Re: why afs backup is so poorly supported

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:20:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Adam Megacz wrote:

> I'm starting to come around to the conclusion that the on-disk format
> exists primarily for obfuscational purposes -- that is, it is the most
> effective way to discourage people from locally modifying shared files.
>
> If you look at it that way, it makes a lot of sense.  I guess there
> really is no better way to reduce the chances that somebody
> (benevolent) with local root will decide that today is a fine day to
> "emacs /vicepa/your-volume-bits-here".

Why? I can do that now. No problem. Which is why I have not reached that
conclusion. It's a free country. You're allowed to be wrong :)

> They share a very large common subproblem.

Well, I think Jeff misspeaks, and he will probably argue, and he's allowed
to be wrong too.

The AFS fileserver wasn't designed to solve this. The AFS protocol and
client certainly could be used to solve it.

Maybe someday they will be. Depends how bored I get.