[OpenAFS] Commercial AFS backups

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:29:40 -0400

On Tuesday, October 10, 2006 09:37:03 AM -0700 ted creedon
<tcreedon@easystreet.com> wrote:

> If industry did a better job of archiving and placing old software in the
> public domain, there would be very few software patents issued..

Well, that was a nice little rant, but I fail to see what relevance it had
to the question, which was:

> What kind of dipstick would wait 5-10 years after their backup
> solution end-of-lifed to worry about this?

I have AFS backup tapes going back 19 years, mostly in off-site storage
somewhere.  Some people may have the luxury of being able to look at the
contents of all of their backups and predict which ones are "important"
enough to spend time copying to new media, but most of us do not.  That's
why we maintain the capability to read old backups.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer