[OpenAFS] moving volumes

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:25:48 -0700

Sanjay Dharmavaram <sd282@cornell.edu> writes:

> I am installing a new AFS server on my network which already has anAFS
> server running. The aim is to replace the already running server with
> the new one. Is there anyway I can copy volumes and user accounts from
> the old server onto the new server? (I would prefer copying instead of
> moving so that I don't lose data if I screw up).

Well, normally you just use vos move to move all the volumes from one file
server to the other.  But the way in which you're asking the question
makes me think that there may be some deeper misunderstandings.

AFS volumes should live in only one place (except for read-only replicas),
so you probably don't want to try to copy one volume to multiple servers
at the same time unless you have very special needs.