[OpenAFS] Re: testing RPMs for 1.4.2

Axel Thimm openafs-info@openafs.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:52:34 +0200

--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 02:18:10PM -0400, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>=20
> I am using the 2054 kernel.  Is there a kernel module for that one ?

No, only the last 1-2 kmdls are kept around (that's not a technical
issue, but a space capacity one).

> or do I need to compile it myself ?  and what source rpm do I need
> for that ?

There is exactly one src.rpm that generates all these packages. :)

Rebuilding from src.rpm is a bit involved. You will need a kernel
build environment with matching kernel sources (e.g. kernel-devel for
your sources may be enough, I'm using the full blown out source tree
to be sure). You'll also need to deposit the kmdl macros under
/etc/rpm/macros which you can find under atrpms-devel or simple
googling, e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dkmdl_namepureof

But rebuilding kernel module packages is not for the faint of heart,
it would be far less pain for yourself to update 2054 to a more recent
release. Also consider the security implications of running network
services like openafs on kernels with known security issues.

--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa

--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa--