[OpenAFS] Re: testing RPMs for 1.4.2

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:59:12 -0400

Hello all,

I tried to do that rebuild,  this is what I get.

[root@io OpenAFS]# rpmbuild --rebuild --target=x86_64
openafs-1.4.2-19_fc4.at.src.rpm
Installing openafs-1.4.2-19_fc4.at.src.rpm
warning: InstallSourcePackage: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
66534c2b
Building target platforms: x86_64
Building for target x86_64
error: line 1: Unknown tag: %kmdl openafs

any ideas ?

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:26:43PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@ATrpms.net>:

>>> Who says it is? You need a working kernel build environment for the
>>> kernel in question, too, or have you found a way to do it w/o kernel
>>> sources? ;)
>> No, you just need the kernel-devel package for the running kernel.
>
> For openafs, perhaps, and IIRC leo uses this. I've seen too much
> breakage (ipw*, ieee80211, lirc, v4l and more break in the pure
> kernel-devel environment) and I prefer playing safe and using the full
> kernel sources for any kmdl build. But you can try building any kmdl
> against kernel-devel, too.
>
>> So I was basing my statement on yours, where you said:
>>
>>> Rebuilding from src.rpm is a bit involved.
>
> I do stand by that statement, depending on your level of expertise it
> is involved, at least more involved than building non-kernel dependent
> packages, and certainly even more so for someone who seems not to know
> how to upgrade his dangerously aged kernel rpm to the latest vendor
> provided one (or doesn't know how dangerous it is to run such a kernel
> in the net) and therefore considers rebuilding for that flawed kernel
> (this is no offence against Ron).
>
> There are reasons other than space that ATrpms doesn't support kernels
> with known vulnerabilities.

  "I didn't hit it, it's just my way of parking.
  Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                    | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
  Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
          Technology Coordinator    |

  Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc@DePauw.edu
  DePauw University                 |
  275 Julian Science & Math Center  |