[OpenAFS] Re: testing RPMs for 1.4.2

Axel Thimm openafs-info@openafs.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:03:16 +0200

--8CNmCRe8Sh4keFKJ

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:26:43PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@ATrpms.net>:
>=20
> >On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:12:37PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> rpmbuild --rebuild --target=3Di686 openafs...src.rpm
> >>
> >>I'll let Axel try to explain to you why his method has to be so much
> >>more complicated than that.  ;)
> >
> >Who says it is? You need a working kernel build environment for the
> >kernel in question, too, or have you found a way to do it w/o kernel
> >sources? ;)
>=20
> No, you just need the kernel-devel package for the running kernel.

For openafs, perhaps, and IIRC leo uses this. I've seen too much
breakage (ipw*, ieee80211, lirc, v4l and more break in the pure
kernel-devel environment) and I prefer playing safe and using the full
kernel sources for any kmdl build. But you can try building any kmdl
against kernel-devel, too.

> So I was basing my statement on yours, where you said:
>=20
> >Rebuilding from src.rpm is a bit involved.

I do stand by that statement, depending on your level of expertise it
is involved, at least more involved than building non-kernel dependent
packages, and certainly even more so for someone who seems not to know
how to upgrade his dangerously aged kernel rpm to the latest vendor
provided one (or doesn't know how dangerous it is to run such a kernel
in the net) and therefore considers rebuilding for that flawed kernel
(this is no offence against Ron).

There are reasons other than space that ATrpms doesn't support kernels
with known vulnerabilities.
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--8CNmCRe8Sh4keFKJ