[OpenAFS] Re: testing RPMs for 1.4.2

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:00:24 -0700

--On Friday, October 13, 2006 10:55 PM +0200 Axel Thimm
<Axel.Thimm@ATrpms.net> wrote:

>   firewalled environment not offering any exposure to the net. But
>   openafs is about (non-local) networking, so especially for openafs
>   you should harden your systems even more. Keeping the kernel free of

While I _really_ don't want to get into the whole "how often should you
upgrade" flamelet, I want to correct a common misconception in your
statement above. Many people use AFS in a very closed environment (in my
case, various large financials). The main driver for my current employer is
that AFS provides seamless client-side failover of read-only data on Linux.
The caching is a nice side benefit. Now if only client cache invalidation
were a tad more reliable...

--
Carson