[OpenAFS] status of samba serving AFS file space? other non-native windows access?

Volker Lendecke Volker.Lendecke@SerNet.DE
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:05:11 +0200

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:39:09PM -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> what's the current status of using samba to serve files from an=20
> AFS backend to windows clients?  I could easily use Linux or Solaris
> as the samba server.  Other platforms would be possible.

That works perfectly fine.

> how does handle file locking?=20

It can't really. You have to be very careful to only hand
out indiviual sections of /afs via a single AFS client /
Samba server, otherwise you will end up with 100% data
corruption.

> How does it handle authentication?

If you are willing to somewhat compromise your AFS security
concept and trust the Samba servers, then you should compile
your Samba with --fake-kaserver=3Dyes, set 'afs username map'
and 'afs share =3D yes' on the appropriate shares.

> can you successfully use MS office documents from the share?

Sure.

Volker

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt--