[OpenAFS] Re: kaserver deperecation, OpenAFS future, etc...

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:31:53 +0100

There have been a number of messages posted here about kaserver,
all of them quite informative.  I would like to add a footnote,
as it were.

We had a cell using kaserver from 1991 up to 2005.  We would have
changed long ago, but we had so many admin tools, backup jobs,
cron jobs, etc tied into the old setup that it was a major project
to upgrade the system.  When we did, it was _very_ useful to
be able to create a number of test cells using kaserver, and to
upgrade them to Kerberos V in various ways.  I would certainly like
to see warnings to discourage people from installing the kaserver,
but it certainly needs to survive long enough for everyone who
is still running it to move to Kerberos V in an orderly fashion.

Of course, like us, many people with installed systems using the
kaserver might be slow to upgrade, and might need prodding of some
kind.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk