[OpenAFS] kaserver deperecation, OpenAFS future, etc...

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:04:56 -0400

>  I guess I'm a little surprised that nobody was
>  interested enough in "ka5server" to make it
>  happen -- do most sites not use kaserver?

I think a number of people do use it still, but it's definately shrinking.

Having grovelled around in the MIT KDC for too long, I can tell you
writing a V5 KDC is a lot of work.  Just doing the whole ASN.1 mess is
a large chunk of code.  This isn't an afternoon project ... it's a
major undertaking.  I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not
something I'd really want to do .. especially since there are already a
few V5 KDCs out there which work just fine.  The only real advantage I
see to kaserver is that it supports Ubik ... a Ubik-replicated V5 KDC
would be cool, but I've lived without one for almost a decade, and it
hasn't really impacted me.  So I've decided that I don't care that much
about it to do anything about it.  If someone else wants to do it ...
hey, more power to them.

--Ken