[OpenAFS] simple way to get people to file more bug reports

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:12:54 -0500

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I think people would be more likely to file bug reports if they could
> monitor the status of the bugs they've reported -- ie via email
> notification.  This requires being able to create an account rather
> than sharing the "guest" account.
>
> Is there any chance of this changing?
>
> Right now when I write a bug report I feel like it just vanishes into
> the void.  Sure I could come back and check on it, but I might not
> remember for a few months and by that time I've forgotten the bug
> number.

This is simply not true.  I don't have an account and I am emailed when
the bug reports are updated.  You can log-in as guest to check the
status of nearly any ticket.  I don't believe any bugs are marked
private, unless they might potentially be a security issue.

Yes, its true that is hard to add additional info if you don't save the
original email to reply to.  But I suspect that if you submit another
ticket and mention the old bug number, someone with an account will
combine them.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen