[OpenAFS] simple way to get people to file more bug reports

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:17:30 -0400

On Thursday, October 19, 2006 07:12:54 PM -0500 "Christopher D. Clausen"
<cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> I think people would be more likely to file bug reports if they could
>> monitor the status of the bugs they've reported -- ie via email
>> notification.  This requires being able to create an account rather
>> than sharing the "guest" account.
>>
>> Is there any chance of this changing?
>>
>> Right now when I write a bug report I feel like it just vanishes into
>> the void.  Sure I could come back and check on it, but I might not
>> remember for a few months and by that time I've forgotten the bug
>> number.
>
> This is simply not true.  I don't have an account and I am emailed when
> the bug reports are updated.  You can log-in as guest to check the
> status of nearly any ticket.  I don't believe any bugs are marked
> private, unless they might potentially be a security issue.
>
> Yes, its true that is hard to add additional info if you don't save the
> original email to reply to.  But I suspect that if you submit another
> ticket and mention the old bug number, someone with an account will
> combine them.

In fact, if you send additional mail from the same email address with a
subject containing [grand.central.org #xxxxx] (with the brackets), RT will
add your message as additional correspondence on the existing bug.

-- Jeff