[OpenAFS] Waiting for busy volume 536885432 when deleting files

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:16:51 +0100

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

When a volume have great IO is possible to stop the access to the
volume, deleting files from a parent directory on the same volume?

I was compiling the Linux sources, using make -j 35.  The computer
compiling the sources and the fileserver of the volume are the same.
When I found some empty and old files that I wanted to delete,
localized in the parent directory of linux sources.

I observed this:

1 - The rm stopped for a long time.
2 - After some time, the compilation started to give errors because of
    missing files.
3 - I found the message "afs: Waiting for busy volume ..."
4 - The rm command finally returned
5 - Everything is again OK with the volume
6 - I had to restart the compilation

The machine is an AFS DB+Fileserver using Debian Sarge on Pentium 4.
I have upgraded the server to Kernel 2.6.17 and openafs 1.4.2~fc4 and
compiled openafs-modules-source, all from backports.org.

As a side note I need to test the stability of this server, as some
days ago it had a reiserfs corruption on the /vicepaa partition.  Now
the server have only the test volume and is working as a AFS DB Server
while I try to find the cause of the reiserfs corruption.

     Jos=E9 Calhariz

--=20

De longe um encanto, perto um espanto.

--An=F4nimo