[OpenAFS] AFS client suddenly extremely slow

Bastian dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:31:05 +0200

Christopher D. Clausen schreef:
> Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I have a very strange performance issue. One of my afs clients is
>> extremely slow when copying files from and to afs (<100 KB/sec).
>> It know it hasn't been slow from the beginnning.
>
> What afsd options are you using?  And are you copying files that are
> larger than your local AFS cache?
>
> Is it a hardware problem?  Can you swap a known good NIC with one from
> another machine?  Or try different switch ports?

Thanks for this quick reply. Yes, my testfile is larger than the cache.
It is 250MB

AFSD options: -stat 2000 -dcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70 -fakestat
-afsdb -nosettime
(these are the Debian defaults)

Client options: 'client', afsdb, crypt and fakestat are set, dynroot is
not, cache is 50.000

I don't think it is a hardware problem, since other file transfers (in
this case scp) have normal speed.
Before I knew non-afs transfers were normal, I tried different ports
though. No change.

Would changing the NIC be worth a try? Could a bad NIC influence openafs
performance and at the same time not influence scp performance?

>> More info:
>> clients: Ubuntu 6.06, OpenAFS 1.4.1-2
>> servers: Debian 3.1, OpenAFS 1.3.81
>
> Well, I'd recomend that you upgrade your server to newer AFS packages.
> If you don't want to roll your own, you can grab mine from:
> /afs/acm.uiuc.edu/admin/system/bin/i386_linux26

Thanks, but as long as the other clients have no problems (and they
don't afaik) I prefer to wait for Debians upgrade. The servers run some
other stuff, but I am busy installing a test server that I can upgrade
earlier.

There is still the option of reinstalling the workstation from scratch,
since this one workstation has crappy performance with all servers, and
the other workstations have normal performance with alle servers.

Bastian