[OpenAFS] failed fileserver ip address change

Juha Jäykkä juolja@utu.fi
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:00:10 +0300

--Sig_vp8hkoiSd7/_LKIbYfzwt=F

Hi!

We had to change the IP address of one of our file servers (just fs, not
a db server), due to network topology changes. The process was done as
per http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/AdminGuide/auagd008.htm#HDRWQ138,
but as a result, the VLDB thinks there is still a server with the old IP
address around and promptly believes all the volumes the machine hosts,
are located on the *old* address. Needless to say, those volumes don't
function: any attempt to do anything about them results in a contact
attempt to the old address.

I browsed the list archives and found no case identical to this; though
some were similar. One advice I found was to simply "vos delentry -server
<old_ip>" and then sync the vldb and server. This sounds like a good
solution, but I'm afraid it of what happens. Will the system now find the
volumes from the new server?

The pts contains no ip addresses, just some host*names*, which did not
change in the process. I think I'm safe there. Am I?

For what it's worth, these machines run various versions of Debian and
openafs; all on i386 or x86_64. Most are Debian/sarge and openafs 1.3.81,
but one has a backported 1.4.1 and one has 1.4.2 on Debian/etch (the one
I mailed earlier this morning with strange bos errors).

-Juha

--=20
		| Juha J=C3=A4ykk=C3=A4, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|