[OpenAFS] failed fileserver ip address change

Christof Hanke hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:26:30 +0300

> I browsed the list archives and found no case identical to this; though
> some were similar. One advice I found was to simply "vos delentry -server
> <old_ip>" and then sync the vldb and server. This sounds like a good
> solution, but I'm afraid it of what happens. Will the system now find the
> volumes from the new server?
Yes, it will.
from "vos help | grep delentry " :
delentry        delete VLDB entry for a volume

The actual volumes on the fileserver are not touched by this.
Only the database saying  which volumes is where (the VLDB) is affected.
Also, syncing the VLDB does not delete any data on the fs.

> The pts contains no ip addresses, just some host*names*, which did not
> change in the process. I think I'm safe there. Am I?
The pts is only involved when you have ACLs including the old IP.

/Christof