[OpenAFS] failed fileserver ip address change

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:03:06 -0400

On Friday, October 27, 2006 03:41:24 PM +0300 Juha J=E4ykk=E4 =
<juolja@utu.fi>=20
wrote:

> It seemed to me as if openafs servers thought there are two distinct
> servers: the one with the old ip and the one with the new. It never
> seemed to occur to openafs that they were indeed the same server. (Would
> it even be possible? I mean, how could it tell?)

As a matter of fact, it can tell.  Each server has an identifier (UUID),=20
and registers its addresses with the VLDB on every startup.  So, if all you =

are doing is renumbering an existing server, just change the address and=20
restart it - the rest will happen automatically.

The problems occur when you use 'vos changeaddr' inappropriately, or if the =

VLDB already thinks there is a server at the new address.  In the latter=20
case, it won't let the fileserver register the new address, because it=20
belongs to some other server.  In current versions of OpenAFS, this should=20
prevent the fileserver from starting, and result in log messages in both=20
the fileserver and vlserver logs.  You can correct the problem by using=20
'vos changeaddr -delete' to remove the existing server entry for the _new_=20
address, and then restarting the fileserver to let it re-register.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer