[OpenAFS] Re: help, salvaged volume won't come back online, is it corrupt? [trimmed log]

John Koyle jkoyle@koyle.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:21:31 -0600

Adam Megacz wrote:
> John Koyle <jkoyle@koyle.org> writes:
>
>> That's the problem I'm having and it appears to be due to the root
>> vnode being missing or corrupt.  Apparantly the bos salvager cannot
>> fix this problem.  From the research I've done, it doesn't appear to
>> be possible (not easily anyway).
>>

> Even if the root vnode is missing, I'd be quite happy with it
> reattaching whatever vnodes are floating around to some "bit bucket"
> directory the way ext2 puts stuff in lost+found.  Or even just dumping
> every *file* to a flat directory full of files I can grep through to
> find the handful that I need.
>
>   - a
I was able to pull everything out into a single directory with filenames
corresponding to their vnodes using a tool named afsdump_extract
(afsdump_extract vol.dump dest/ -v -i).  You can get a copy of it here:
/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-jhutz/dumpscan (Precompiled linux
version in the LINUX subdir).

Unfortunately this won't work for me as it's more than a few files I'll
need.

Good Luck,
John