[OpenAFS] Re: help, salvaged volume won't come back online, is it corrupt? [trimmed log]

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:59:59 +0200

Juha J=C3=A4ykk=C3=A4 wrote:
>>In my understanding you easily can propagate this error to your
>>readonly replicas by "vos release"ing the corrupt volume. The volserver=

>>on the receiving side would remove any data not mentioned in the dump
>>stream.
>=20
>=20
> This is frightening. Can I actually vos release the corrupt volume? Fro=
> the posts on the list, I'd gather it cannot even be attached - how coul=
> it be released, then?

If it can't be attached anymore, probably not. But I don't know whether=20
it really won't come online after the salvager has thrown away the root=20
directory!

>=20
>=20
>>Better you do a "vos convertROtoRW" on the RO-site as soon as possible =

>>to regain a valid RW-volume in this case.
>=20
>=20
> Except that I'm unlikely to notice the corruption before it's released,=

> which happens automatically. Sounds like we need to change our backup
> policy...
>=20

The best way to prevent the salvager from corrupting volumes is not to=20
run it automatically. If you configure your OpenAFS with with=20
"--enable-fast-restart" then the fileserver will not salvage=20
automatically after a crash. So if you find after a ccrash volumes which =

couldn't be attached you salvage them by "bos salvage server partition=20
volume" and examine the SalvageLog. I suppose in the case he throws the=20
root-directory away you will see some thing in the log.

Hartmut

> -Juha
>=20

--=20
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)