[OpenAFS] AFS loopback adapter and DNS registration

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:14:32 -0500

I ran into an issue today trying to connect to a machine:
C:\>nslookup acm-tslicense.ad.uiuc.edu
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    acm-tslicense.ad.uiuc.edu
Addresses:  10.254.254.253, 172.22.35.94

Is there a way to prevent the loopback adapter IP from being registered
with the computer's account in Active Directory *by default*?  Its
really annoying b/c trying to contact it though the loopback IP usually
results in a connection to the local machine, assuming that machine also
has AFS installed.

I usually go in and manually uncheck the "register this connection's
addresses in DNS" box for the loopback adapter, but if there is a way to
automate this, I'd certainly appreciate it if someone would let me know
how.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen