[OpenAFS] OpenAFS through-the-NAT performance.

Jakub Witkowski jpw@wszib.edu.pl
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:29:49 +0200

--=-f1OcuJGjeJ326elyfZzP

Dnia 18-09-2006, pon o godzinie 10:29 -0400, Jim Rees napisa=C5=82(a):

> You can set a probe interval with "fs checks -interval" but that's not qu=
ite
> what you want because it only sets the interval for down servers.
>=20
This helps a lot by itself, as it cuts down the wait time considerably.

> There is a "fs discon" command that will put you in to "nat mode," where =
all
> servers will be probed at 60 second interval.  See=20
> afs_SetCheckServerNATmode() in afs/afs_daemons.c.  This is not enabled in=
 fs
> by default, and I'm not sure there is code in afs_pioctl to call it.  The
> reason for this is that it's a very unfriendly thing to do to your file
> server, and we don't think the file server should be punished for your la=
ck
> of connectivity.
>=20
Grepping OpenAFS 1.4.1 sources, I found no trace of the mentioned fs
command, nor the function.=20
Which version did you refer to? 1.5.8?=20

> Of course if your afs admins are also deploying nats with short timeouts,
> they get what they deserve.
>=20
Sadly, the firewall in question is not under my authority, and since it
does not impair our internal AFS usage the probability of this getting
changed is very low.

> Also be sure you have recent file servers.  Some important fixes went in
> recently to track clients with poor (or mobile) connectivity.

Recent? 1.4.1? Or?

On a side note, exactly how much unfriendly the 'nat mode' is? =20

Thank you,

Jakub Witkowski.

--=-f1OcuJGjeJ326elyfZzP
	podpisana cyfrowo