[OpenAFS] Re: vos move volume failure.

Ken Aaker kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:31:42 -0500

Ken Aaker wrote:
> Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Joe Buehler wrote:
>>

>>> Does the above log provide any useful information to the experts here
>>> present
>>> so this can be fixed?  Perhaps the iinc messages provide a clue as to
>>> what
>>> is wrong with the volume?  Perhaps the salvager needs an enhancement
>>> here
>>> so it makes a correct volume?
>>>
>> We fixed a bunch of stuff in 1.4.2fc2, fc3 and fc4 in this regard
>> (salvager fixes, volserver fixes, for namei fileservers). Fixing stuff
>> only helps if you take the fixes. I understand it's not in a release
>> yet. At the same time, asking for fixes to something that's already
>> fixed, well, it's there, if you're willing to try a patch, you're
>> willing to try a candidate. If you're not willing to try a patch, ok,
>> you're waiting for a release anyway.
>>
>> I'm not picking on you. This has been a persistent question from many
>> people, which means one of
>> 1) the release notes for the candidates aren't clear. If so, I suck.
>> Tell me how.
>> 2) people ignore the release notes for the candidates. your choice,
>> obviously.
>> 3) laziness. can't help you there. there's obviously some of this,
>> like when we get a question which was answered in the literal previous
>> message to a list.
>>
>> Derrick

> Thanks for the suggestions, I had run out of things to try.
>
> Ok, I'll grab the release candidate and give that a try. I was reluctant
> to jump to a new release because I had been poking at this problem
> enough to worry about screwing up something that would crater the rest
> of the system. Everything in OpenAFS has been working the way I expect
> it to, so when something becomes mysterious, it makes me very cautious
> about adding another variable.
>
> Without the suggestions, I was thinking about only doing "admin"
> commands while I was wearing my OpenAFS t-shirt.....
>
> Ken

I grabbed the 1.4.2fc4 release candidate and built it for SuSE 9.0.
After I fixed a bug in src/auth/cellconfig.c the new fileserver and
salvager were able to clean up my /vicepa partition and VLDB. Then the
move volume worked without any additional problems.

I've submitted the bug to openafs-bugs as Ticket 40829 with the patch
for cellconfig.c that worked for me.

Ken Aaker