[OpenAFS] Re: vos move volume failure.

Ken Aaker kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:54:10 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Joe Buehler wrote:
>

>> Does the above log provide any useful information to the experts here
>> present
>> so this can be fixed?  Perhaps the iinc messages provide a clue as to
>> what
>> is wrong with the volume?  Perhaps the salvager needs an enhancement
>> here
>> so it makes a correct volume?
>
> We fixed a bunch of stuff in 1.4.2fc2, fc3 and fc4 in this regard
> (salvager fixes, volserver fixes, for namei fileservers). Fixing stuff
> only helps if you take the fixes. I understand it's not in a release
> yet. At the same time, asking for fixes to something that's already
> fixed, well, it's there, if you're willing to try a patch, you're
> willing to try a candidate. If you're not willing to try a patch, ok,
> you're waiting for a release anyway.
>
> I'm not picking on you. This has been a persistent question from many
> people, which means one of
> 1) the release notes for the candidates aren't clear. If so, I suck.
> Tell me how.
> 2) people ignore the release notes for the candidates. your choice,
> obviously.
> 3) laziness. can't help you there. there's obviously some of this,
> like when we get a question which was answered in the literal previous
> message to a list.
>
> Derrick

Thanks for the suggestions, I had run out of things to try.

Ok, I'll grab the release candidate and give that a try. I was reluctant
to jump to a new release because I had been poking at this problem
enough to worry about screwing up something that would crater the rest
of the system. Everything in OpenAFS has been working the way I expect
it to, so when something becomes mysterious, it makes me very cautious
about adding another variable.

Without the suggestions, I was thinking about only doing "admin"
commands while I was wearing my OpenAFS t-shirt.....

Ken