[OpenAFS] make install...

Joseph Galbraith galb@vandyke.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:38:39 -0600

I'm not sure that this is a case of make install being deficient,
just a case of it not doing what I wanted...

My system (a fresh install of fedora core 5) needed the following
directories created.  (Not creating them lead to mysterious errors
that were almost impossible to track back to a cause):

/usr/local/etc/openafs

Failure to create /usr/local/etc/openafs lead to bosserver
not creating /usr/local/etc/openafs/server and dangling
symlinks for /usr/local/etc/openafs/ThisCell and CellServDB.

I've been manually creating /usr/local/etc/openafs/server
as well, though I suspect bosserver would correctly do
that.

/usr/local/var

Failure to create this lead to errors such as:

bos: failed to set cell (you are not authorized for this operation)

even though I'd run bosserver and bos setcellname both with the
-noauth flag.

It would be nice if make install would create the
$(sysconfdir)/openafs director and the $(localstatedir)... but maybe
that is outside the scope of its operation.  It would surely have
saved me a bit of head scratching.

Thanks,

Joseph