[OpenAFS] Add new fileserver

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:39:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Melvin Wong wrote:

> I am trying to add a new fileserver to my 1st afs server to increase the
> storage space. I did managed to get the 2nd afs server sync with the 1st
> afs server. But the client still see only the 1st afs's vol space when I
> "fs diskfree /afs".

You are asking the wrong question ;-)

diskfree shows how much space is left of your quota and the partition
your volume is in (and only the rw-version, iirc).

You can ask:

"vos listaddrs" to show all your fileserver names.

And then "vos partinfo $server" for each server.

> Must I perform another step or the storage space should automatically
> combine once it sync?

There is no command "give me all the available space on all of my afs
servers". You need to write a little script for that. So space does not
combine or sum up.

Adding a fileserver is a very simple task:

* Install server binaries
* create /vicepXX-partitions
* start upclient (or copy ThisCell, CellServDB and afs.key to your new
   server)
* start fs-service (bos create fs fs ... - like on the first machine)

> Is there any guide out there to help me?

It's a bit out of date, but the general steps are still the same
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/QuickStartUnix/auqbg006.htm

Chris
--
Mitarbeiter an der TU Chemnitz, Fak.f. Informatik, Professur VSR
Buero: Str. d. Nationen 62, B204, D-09111 Chemnitz