[OpenAFS] Add new fileserver

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 12:05:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> However, it is not recommended to do this for volumes which should
> be writeable most of the times (because afs always prefers the read-only
> volume over the read-write one).

This is not the whole story.

You can have ro-copies of your users-home-volumes too, but you must
provide a rw-path to the home-volume.

The most easiest way is to mount the home-volume with the -rw-switch:

fs mkmount user.chu /afs/cell/home/chu -rw

You can even make the ro-copy available to your users as a kind of
"cheap" backup:

fs momount user.chu /afs/cell/yesterday/chu

(this accesses the ro-clone, if all mountpoints up to /afs are ro-mounts)

And you can go even further...
If your ro-clones are on a different server, you can recover from a
catastrophic system-crash on your rw-server by converting your ro-clone
back to a rw-volume. (But it will involve data-loss, if the user changed
his/her volume after the last "vos release".)

> As for the home volumes, I would "vos move" some of them to the other
> server, so that a failure of one server doesn't affect all users.

Yes. That job can be automated by a tool named balancer.

Chris
--
Mitarbeiter an der TU Chemnitz, Fak.f. Informatik, Professur VSR
Buero: Str. d. Nationen 62, B204, D-09111 Chemnitz