[OpenAFS] Add new fileserver

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:57:07 -0400

On Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:41:28 AM -0500 "Christopher D. Clausen"
<cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>> In message <F411512C-1517-4702-BB5B-6F4015C16965@umich.edu>,Steve
>> Simmons write s:
>>>
>>> Most cells I've seen do that. But that particular line is a umich-ism
>>> that ought to be taken out.
>>
>> looking at CellServDB i wouldnt say most.
>
> Well, certain cells might have a different entry in the CellServDB
> versus various CNAMES that are used locally.
>
> cclausen@KBS-CDC C:\>vos listaddrs
> cac.illigal.uiuc.edu
> gcs.illigal.uiuc.edu
> ial.illigal.uiuc.edu
>
> cclausen@KBS-CDC C:\>@for /l %i in (1,1,3) do @vos partinfo
> file%i.illigal.uiuc.edu
> Free space on partition /vicepa: 6603356 K blocks out of total 6636464
> Free space on partition /vicepa: 8994296 K blocks out of total 9125772
> Free space on partition /vicepa: 278516032 K blocks out of total
> 279261540
> Free space on partition /vicepb: 547315572 K blocks out of total
> 547446812
> Free space on partition /vicepc: 575637588 K blocks out of total
> 602187124
>
> (In this instance, I have AFS servers prefixed with file instead of
> afs.)

One well-known cell uses 'vice'.

My fileservers are apple, cranberry, grape, tomato, orange, date, fig,
plum, apricot, cherry, strawberry, pumpkin, kiwi.

Another cell I know has servers named ronald-ann, rosebud, and reynelda
(with aliases ra, rb, and rc).

Then there's the grand.central.org cell, whose servers are named
penn.central.org, blueberry.srv.cs.cmu.edu, grand-opening.mit.edu, and
andrew.e.kth.se.

At yet another site I know, it is possible to tell by looking at a
machine's hostname whether it is an AFS fileserver, but only if you know
how to parse their rather cryptic hostnames.

-- Jeff