[OpenAFS] Re: Implicit "A" in fileserver

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:01:50 -0400

On Friday, April 13, 2007 05:14:28 PM -0700 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Bill Stivers <stiversb@ucsc.edu> writes:
>> I know that this discussion was beaten 7 ways from Sunday in the
>> recent past, but I thought it worth asking.  Did someone ever get
>> around to committing a patch that enabled switching behavior between
>> "implicit a" for directory creators versus "no implicit a" for
>> directory creators?
>
> This patch adds a configure-time "--disable-volume-owner-a" which
> has the desired effect.

No, it doesn't.  Bill was asking about implicit permissions granted to the
owner (creator) of a directory, not a volume.

Also, please do not add configure-time options to control behavior.  New
configure-time options are normally appropriate only when they affect
things which must be decided at compile-time, such as which platform we're
building for, what directory layout to use, or which external packages to
use.  From time to time you will see a configure option to enable a feature
which represents a substantial code change which is not yet ready to be
included by default, but those cases are exceptions rather than the rule.

> I've also updated the "compendium of ways AFS cares about UNIX
> owner/group/modebits" after staring at afsfileprocs.c for a while:

It might help to start with the idea that AFS is not other filesystems, and
has its own semantics, rather than being surprised every time AFS's
semantics are not the same as those of some existing filesystem...

-- Jeff