[OpenAFS] Re: Implicit "A" in fileserver

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:18:03 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
>> I've also updated the "compendium of ways AFS cares about UNIX
>> owner/group/modebits" after staring at afsfileprocs.c for a while:

> It might help to start with the idea that AFS is not other
> filesystems, and has its own semantics,

I'm sorry if I offended you.

You're right: AFS has its own semantics.  I'm just trying to document
them since the semantics of the mode/group/owner don't seem to be
exhaustively described anywhere other than the source code.

> rather than being surprised every time AFS's semantics are not the
> same as those of some existing filesystem...

Ok.

There are a number of aspects of AFS semantics which it seems were
chosen in order to make AFS friendlier to programs which expect UNIX
semantics.  It seems like most of the mode bits semantics fall into
this category, which is why I asked about afsfileprocs.c on
openafs-devel (which I assume is the "surprise" you're referring to
here).

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380