[OpenAFS] One of my users has married - what to do?

Smith, Matt matt.smith@uconn.edu
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:35:20 -0400

>> > Interesting idea, but it does beg the question why rename the =
username
>> > at all?  Update the GECOS and perhaps mail aliases, but why change =
the
>> > principal?
>>
>> Because when Mary Jones marries John Doe, 'mjones' makes a lot
>> less sense than 'mdoe' as a principal.
>>   --david
>
>Sounds like a great argument for meaningless user/principal names --
>unfortunately, folks don't like the idea of being NQ37821.
>
>Steve Brown
>sbrown7@umbc.edu

Just as a point of interest - about 7 years ago the University of =
Connecticut made a decision that all user accounts (around 40,000 NetIDs =
at the time) would be of the form aaa11222, where aaa are the user's =
initials, 11 is the year of account creation, and 222 is an incrementing =
uniquifier.  There was a bit of pain at first, getting our faculty/staff =
to accept the form, but that has been worth it to avoid renames and =
battles.  Now that all account names are "equally ugly", we no longer =
have new upper-management "Mike Smith" demanding that some student "Matt =
Smith" give up his "msmith" account.  And the format is "simple enough" =
that users don't seem to have problems remembering it.  And, most users =
do not have seem to have too much problem keeping their initials, even =
in the case of a marriage/divorce.

Just my $0.02,
-Matt