[OpenAFS] write caching differences between 1.2 and 1.4 clients?

Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:10:59 +0200 (CEST)

The AFS client used to cache writes on the local disk until a file is
closed, but this seems to have changed?

Consider the following script:

#!/bin/sh
while [ 1 = 1 ]; do
     date
     sleep 10
done

Now I run "script.sh >> afs12.out" on a 1.2.13 client, and "script.sh >>
afs14.out" on a 1.4.4 one. Except for the AFS client version, the systems
are identical (Scientific Linux 3, same kernel & patches, ...).

On any 3rd client system (version doesn't matter), I see afs14.out
growing by 30 bytes every 10 seconds, while afs12.out stays at size 0
until I kill the script.

Is this change intentional? I always thought the old behaviour really
helps in environments with many clients? Any insights much appreciated.

Thanks,
 	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand