[OpenAFS] write caching differences between 1.2 and 1.4 clients?

Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:33:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>>
>>> Per our private thread, the salient point is "on linux" and not simply 1.2
>>> versus 1.4
>>
>> Yes, sorry, I'm guilty of not checking a 1.4.4 client on Solaris before -
>> which behaves correctly. I also have to add that my linux build is not
>> pristine 1.4.4 but has a number of patches applied I pulled from CVS.
>>
>> I'll check 1.4.4 as released, but this will have to wait until tomorrow.

I just found a linux system still running a pristine 1.4.2 client (afsd
started in 2006), and it behaves the same, hence it's not due to me
picking the wrong set of patches.

> It will have changed as released. It's not really "intentional" so much as
> "side effect of changes to support Linux 2.6" almost certainly

That's bad news. I believe we're experiencing right now that it does limit
concurrent writes to files in the same directory from our farm nodes. I
guess it will also cause a higher degree of fragmentation of files on the
fileserver, and probably make things more "NFS-like" in general.

Any chance to get back the old behaviour?

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -