[OpenAFS] Setting up new cell on RHEL4 - some help needed

Robert Sturrock rns@unimelb.edu.au
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:32:03 +1000

Hi.

I'm new to AFS, and am trying to setup a cell from scratch on RHEL4
(64 bit).  I have a few issues and questions I'd like to put forward.
I've read the AFS book plus some of the online guides a couple of
times, so I have some theoretical understanding of the technology but
the implementation is a different matter.

Firstly, do people have recommendations about the best OS platform to
deploy servers on?  I'm using RHEL4 at the moment, but Solaris-x86
would also be possible for us (I read in the list archives that
openafs-1.5.x may not yet be stable on RHEL).

In setting up the first server machine, I'm following the guide found
here:

    http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/QuickStartUnix

This documentation seems pretty decent, although a little out of date
with respect to RHEL.  To start, I downloaded
openafs-1.4.4-rhel4.2.src.rpm from the website, then essentially ran:

    rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/openafs.spec --define "kernvers `uname -r`"

This gave me a set of RPMs I could install against my RHEL4-U5 with
kernel version 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL.  I then followed the above guide to
try to setup the first server machine.  It all seemed to be going ok
until I got to "Configuration the Top Levels of the AFS Filespace".
Step 1 gives me this:

   # fs setacl /afs system:anyuser rl
   fs:'/afs'Segmentation fault

I imagine this is related to the following:

   # fs mkmount /afs/unimelb.edu.au root.cell
   fs: cell dynroot not in /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB

.. although:

    # egrep unimelb.edu.au /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB
    >unimelb.edu.au         #University of Melbourne, Australia
    128.250.xx.yy                  #afs1.its.unimelb.edu.au

(I admit I don't really understand "dynroot" - it's enabled by default
when the openafs-client starts, but I'm not sure if I want/need this or
not).

root.cell certainly exists as a volume:

    # vos listvol localhost -noauth
    Total number of volumes on server localhost partition /vicepa: 2
    root.afs                          536870912 RW          2 K On-line
    root.cell                         536870915 RW          2 K On-line

    Total volumes onLine 2 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

Any ideas where I've gone wrong here?

Various servers seem to be running:

    # bos status localhost -noauth
    Instance fs, currently running normally.
	Auxiliary status is: file server running.
	Instance buserver, currently running normally.
	Instance ptserver, currently running normally.
	Instance vlserver, currently running normally.
	Instance kaserver, currently running normally.
	Instance upserver, currently running normally.

Essentially I'd like to setup private AFS infrastructure (two servers
to start with) for internal use only, so I don't care/want other cells
showing up in a listing of /afs in the first instance.

Thanks In Advance!

Robert.