[OpenAFS] Tuning openafs write speed

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:46:39 -0400

In message <20070823130657.237470@gmx.net>,"Kai Moritz" writes:
>I haven't tried that yet, becaus in the file /etc/openafs/afs.conf of
>my Debian Etch installation there is a comment that says:
>
># Using the memory cache is not recommended.  It's less stable than the disk
># cache and doesn't improve performance as much as it might sound.

memcache is much faster than the disk cache.  memcache will not get any
better if no one ever uses it so the openafs developers can get some
bug reports.  i think memcache has improved quite a bit (but it could
be better, i need to submit some patches) over the last couple years.

i use '-memcache -chunksize 15 -dcache 1024'.  if your system is memory
starved this might be an issue.