[OpenAFS] Syntax error in afs_md5.h on FreeBSD

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:28:53 -0700

I am compiling OpenAFS-1.5.23 on FreeBSD 6.2.  I get a syntax error
before afs_uint32 in afs_md5.h when compiling the loadable module.  That
line (71 IIRC) reads

  static inline afs_uint32
  cshift(afs_uint32 x,...

There are some preprocessor directives right before that to
conditionally #define inline.  So I thought I would try changing that
declaration to 'static afs_uint32' and skip the 'inline' part.  (My book
doesn't mention inline in the index and I am not a hacker.)

Well the compile proceeded just fine until the next occurence of a
declaration that was "static inline".  Turns out there are about 8
places in the source where this occurs and not all of them have some
conditional directives.  Having no knowledge of what I was doing, I
thought I would ask.

How can I complete my compilation if the compiler thinks "static inline"
is a syntax error?  Is the problem with my toolchain, or is the problem
with the OpenAFS source?

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells