[OpenAFS] Server crash

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:21:36 -0500

> On Dec 7, 2007 11:53 AM, Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> We had a server crash this morning and I after bringing it back up I am
>> unable to get a vos listvol back from it. Or it is taking a very long
>> time. These partitions are greater than 150 G . Its been running for 30
>> minutes now and nothing back yet.
>> The server (Version 1.4.2 ) is compiled with fast restart and I am
>> trying to see what vols are Off-line. Is there any other way to find out
>> what vols are off line?
>> /sd
>>
>> --
>> Steve Devine
>> Network Storage & Printing
>> Academic Computing & Network Services
>> Michigan State University
>>
>> 506 Computer Center
>> East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
>> 1-517-432-7327
>>
>> Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
>> - Yogi Berra

I need to give some history here. These servers are on a ISCSI device
and some time last night the device had a incident and all my mounted
drives went to readonly. When the servers tried to do the global
snapshot(s) everything got ugly. We rebooted the servers and the Iscsi
device but the File logs form this morning are not that helpful.
I have thousands of entrys in the FileLog but they are as a result of
the incident yesterday when the shares where read only.
As it turns out if you run vos listvol on the server itself its a little
quicker and now it seems we are back up for the most part.
I have often wondered however if there is a good way to periodically
check the status of the vols without running listvol an all the servers.
I think trolling through the backup server logs might do it as they will
report offline vols.
Thanks for all your responses.
/sd