[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.4.6 release available

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:16:56 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> The OpenAFS Gatekeepers announce the availability of OpenAFS version
> 1.4.6.  Source files and available binaries can be accessed via the
> web at:
>
>       http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.4.6/
>
> or via AFS at:
>
>       /afs/grand.central.org/software/openafs/1.4.6/
>       \\afs\grand.central.org\software\openafs\1.4.6\
>
> This is the current recommended release for all Unix platforms; For
> Windows, we recommend use of the current 1.5 series release for best
> performance, and we do not expect to provide OpenAFS 1.4.6 binaries
> for Windows.
>
> This release contains only bugfixes for the fileserver over 1.4.5. No
> other changes are present; For all subsystems other than the
> fileserver this release is identical to OpenAFS 1.4.5.
>
> - fileserver host tracking code had a missing lock on a host structure;
>   that lock has been added.
>
> - fileserver handling for clients which are giving up callbacks did not
>   hold a lock, making it unsafe and allowing clients to potentially
>   crash the server by racing.
>
> - fileserver will now leave a corefile when it is doing a shutdown due
>   to error conditions.
>
> - fileserver again allows ufs as a valid filesystem type (regression in
>   1.4.5).
>
> - cbd handler for fileserver status data has an interpretation error
> which
>   could cause crashes corrected.
>
> - fileserver accurately tracks number of callbacks on a given file.
>
> Bug reports should be filed to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.
>
> Thanks are due as usual to our dedicated team of binary builders (Doug
> Engert,
> Chaskiel Grundman, Simon Wilkinson) without whom the broad range of
> released binaries would not be possible. Additionally, the revised web
> pages for the binary releases are possible thanks to the work of Steve
> Devine and Eric Holp.
>
> Derrick J Brashear
> for the OpenAFS gatekeepers
The freshmeat.net entry has been updated.

Stuff that needs fixing:
* The release notes link is broken on the news page.
* No 10.4.6 package is listed on the MAC OS X page.
http://www.openafs.org/macos.html

Sincerely,
Jason