[OpenAFS] afs_NewVCache errors

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:51:46 -0500

On Friday, February 02, 2007 01:01:47 PM +0100 Jasper Moeller
<mail@jasper-moeller.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we recently migrated our AFS setup to version 1.4.2. Since then, we have
> spurious problems on our linux clients (the windows clients are running
> fine). Specifically, after some time, users only see strange permissions
> (usually just a row of question marks instead of the normal output in ls
> -l)

That's what recent versions of GNU ls do when they can't stat a file, for
example because you have no access.

> Sometimes, it heals itself, usually, users have to log in and log out.
> Syslog has entries like:
>
> Feb  2 12:56:46 brummer kernel: afs_NewVCache: warning none freed, using
> 3000 of 3000
> Feb  2 12:56:46 brummer kernel: afs_NewVCache - none freed

This means there are no free vcache entries.  Either there is a leak, or
you have more than 3000 AFS files in use.  Try giving afsd a larger value
for the -stat switch.

> We are using linux kernel 2.6.19 from Fedora Core 6, together with
> OpenAFS 1.4.2 on the clients.

You got 1.4.2 to build against 2.6.19?  That's a neat trick.  For 2.6.19
you should need at least 1.4.3rc1 (and you really want rc2, which fixes
some build issues and a nasty problem with clients crashing when a vlserver
is down, but that's not out yet).

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer