[OpenAFS] Re: MSI customization question

Joe Buehler jbuehler@spirentcom.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:31:18 -0500

Christian Ospelkaus wrote:

> I am trying to customize the MSI for our local setup. In particular, I am
> trying to customize the CellServDB. I have gone through the release notes,
> installed ORCA.EXE, opened a copy of the original MSI in ORCA and followed
> the steps outlined in the release notes. Now this is my first contact with
> Windows Installer related issues, and I cannot really understand how in the
> end I will put the actual new CellServDB into the modified MSI. This must be
> a really dumb question; sorry. It must somehow have to do with the Media
> table. Maybe someone on this list can give me a hint. Thank you very much,

I think I also ran into this when I first starting modifying msi files.
The solution as I recall is to put the modified file in the same directory
as the new msi and modify the msi so it knows that it is there -- there is no
easy way to put it inside the modified msi with the tools you are using.

I posted in the last week or so a link to a perl script I use to make modified
msi files.  It uses an open-source tool to pack and unpack the msi.  The inability
to put modified files into the new msi is one of the reasons I abandoned orca
and went to the perl script.
--
Joe Buehler