[OpenAFS] Unable to restore incemental dumps from backup file

Jasper Moeller mail@jasper-moeller.de
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:04:19 +0100

Hi,

we want to switch from backup to tape to file based backup. We append
our incremental dumps to the full backup file. However, we are not able
to restore a volume for which an incremental dump exists, butc only
complains:

Restore
Restoring volume home.moeller.restored
Can't read FileBegin on tape
      butm: unexpected tape datablock
Can't restore volume home.moeller.restored
      butm: unexpected tape datablock
Restore: Skipping remainder of volume home.moeller.backup (536871263)
Restore: Finished

Strangely enough, we can restore a volume from the same file for which
no incremental dump has been appended, so it must have to do something
with the incremental stuff or the append-to-file.

butc is still an old 1.2.11 one, running on a remote machine - we'd
rather prefer to leave it that way for the moment than to upgrade the
backup server.

TIA

JM
--