[OpenAFS] openafs performance in an internet-scale traffic environment

Richard Human openafs@psychopuppy.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:41:03 +0200

Hi,

Yes, although I haven't quite got my head around how I would fit the
replicated volumes into the architecture. I was thinking of a
scenario where I would have the r/w volume on one server in the cell
and would replicate to at least 1 other server in the cell. So
probably at least 3 servers in the cell. (Can you mix replicated r/o
volumes and r/w volumes on one server?)

This fits with our application as uploads don't happen nearly as
often and the source is an application server on the back-end. So we
can push the files onto the r/w volume and then let them replicate
out to the r/o volumes. We can even afford a delay of minutes here.

Does this make sense w.r.t. to AFS?

Anyway, I still need to go through a test setup, I'm just looking for
a sanity check that this type of scale is possible with AFS and that
I'm not trying something stupid.

Thanks for your reply
Richard