[OpenAFS] openafs performance in an internet-scale traffic environment

anne salemme anne.salemme@Dartmouth.EDU
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:46:45 -0500

a couple of things to think about before plowing ahead...first, don't
forget about the afs cache on your webservers, and think about how you
will update files and coordinate the vos releasing of the volumes.

if it is critical for the webservers to all see exactly the same data at
exactly the same time, and if there is frequent updating of files, you
really have to separate out the active stuff from the quiescent stuff.
that way, vos releases should only minimally lock things up.

i worked as a consultant on an afs-backed website at a financial place a
few years back. they had huge volumes, vos releases triggered
automatically each time a file changed, webservers and afs servers on
different continents....and, not surprisingly,  the perceived
performance was bad.

i also know that afs-backed webservers run great in terms of storage and
allowing users to "publish" data. but you may have to do some tinkering
of the webserver or the afs client, and you definitely want to have a
good idea about the volume layout and replication strategy before you begin.

cheers,
anne