[OpenAFS] Hardware Grants from Sun

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:09:27 -0500

On Friday, February 23, 2007 09:23:21 AM -0600 "Douglas E. Engert"
<deengert@anl.gov> wrote:

> So getting 100,000 in equipment is only part of it. If you are
> willing to state a desire to taget OpenSolaris, Sun should be willing
> to state a desire to integration of AFS credential handling
> in there products too, like ssh delegation of credentials to get
> AFS tokens, and having home directories in AFS.

Doug, it's worth noting that the sorts of people who can give away
equipment often have little or no control over things like operating system
development, and asking for such things is at best useless.  On the other
hand, we have plenty of contacts within Sun to help us with issues like
this, and OpenSolaris, like OpenAFS, is an open-source software project in
which any of us can participate.

Incidentally, it should be noted that Sun's ssh supports GSS-API userauth
and key exchange out of the box, including credential delegation, and that
its PAM support is considerably better than that of OpenSSH.  As for home
directories; we've been putting users' home directories in AFS for O(15)
years, though we only appear to have been supporting Solaris since 1995.
If you have specific issues, please describe them instead of asking that
Sun be "willing to state a desire" for things to work that already do.

-- Jeff