[OpenAFS] Re: openafs does not put a [correct] value in fsinfo.f_type?

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:57:39 +0100

* Christopher D. Clausen [2007-01-03 11:31:16 -0600]:
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> >If you are in a position to get a new entry added to the Linux
> >sys/statfs.h header file, please do so.  I would suggest a value of
> >
> > AFS_SUPER_MAGIC  0x5346414F
> >
> >To be honest, I really don't think there would be any harm in just
> >using this value.  "OAFS"  Who else would?
>
> Well, would there be a need to have arla use the same value?  Or other
> non OpenAFS clients?  Or is it a feature that this number can be used to
> identify the client software as well as the fs type?

I've been wondering about the same thing. A value that is appropriate for
the AFS implementation that's in the Linux kernel tree may be easier to
get through. (And no, on the whole I don't think client software should
care which AFS implementation happens to be loaded into the kernel at
the moment. For those who really want to know that, there is always
"rxdebug -version localhost afs3-callback".)

How about "AFS3", 0x33534641 ?

The correct header to add this in appears to be <linux/magic.h> (I'm
looking at linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git, last modified 6
hours ago).